In 1795, Durris was let on a long lease to John Innes of Leuchars, near Elgin. He carried out extensive improvements to the estate but when, in 1824, Durris passed to the Gordons, Innes - after a lengthy and expensive lawsuit - was ejected and virtually ruined.
To celebrate their victory over Innes, the Gordons built an octagonal tower, which now overlooks Park Bridge. It is a single masonry digit lifted skywards in a wonderfully-derisory gesture
It is usually - although erroneously - called “Keith’s Tower”, a skirmish between the Keiths and the Irvines of Drum having taken place near the spot in the 14th Century. (ref. RV)